Order Prints and Notecards
Honored to share my thoughts on art with Erric Emerson, Editor in Chief for Issue 4 of Dark Onus Literary Magazine.
Read complete interview.
|A Show of abstract collaged |
figures by GJ Gillespie.
FRIDAY HARBOR ARTIST RESIDENCY OCTOBER
5 days of art making at the University of Washington's Friday Harbor Research Labs Oct 3 -- 7, 2023.
This is the fourth time we've taken advantage of this creative opportunity.
See art and camera roll here.
Watch or listen to the podcast!
The interview is live on PassionatePainterPodcast.com as well as Apple Podcasts and all the major podcast apps.
Links to the show notes pages of your specific episodes:
|My Interview with Caroline.|
GJ Gillespie art accepted in 120+ literary and art journals.
Publications VITA here
To publish my collages "Searching for a Heart of Gold"and "Good Morning Mr. Sunshine."
|Good Morning Mr. Sunshine by GJ Gillespie.|
December 7, 2023
Thank you for your submission to Apricity Press. We’re delighted to say we’ve selected Searching for a Heart of Gold and Good Morning Mr. Sunshine for inclusion in our ninth issue.
We tend to publish our issues in May 2024, and we’ll be in touch again closer to the completion of this issue. If you have any questions in the meantime please don’t hesitate to ask.
Congratulations and thank you for your trust in Apricity!
Mira Mason-Reader, Editor-in-Chief
RED CEDAR REVIEW
This Michigan State University literary journal accepts two collages for Spring 2024 issue!
|Winked, Blynken and Nod by GJ Gillespie.|
December 4, 2023
On behalf of the editors at Red Cedar Review, we are pleased to inform you that the following three images from your submission has been accepted for publication in Issue 59.1 for Spring 2024: "Winked, Blynken and Nod," and "Friends in Your Head."
We greatly enjoyed viewing your work and believe it will be a strong addition to our issue.
Congratulations again on your acceptance into Red Cedar Review! We look forward to working with you.
Red Cedar Review Editorial Staff
COSMIC DAFFODIL JOURNAL
To publish my collage in upcoming issue.
|Lay Lady Lay #3 by GJ Gillespie.|
December 3, 2023
Dear GJ Gillespie,
Thank you for submitting to Cosmic Daffodil Journal! Our team enjoyed looking over your submission; we are pleased to inform you that your piece "Lay Lady Lay #3" has been accepted. Congratulations! We look forward to having your work in our upcoming edition. THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS will go live on February 1st, 2024.
~ Happy Holidays ~
Madi & Jen
Cosmic Daffodil Journal
To publish my collages "The Warmth of Other Suns" and "Lonely is the Night" in upcoming issue. This is my 125th art publication.
|The Warmth of Other Suns by GJ Gillespie.|
November 30, 2023
Congratulations! We would like to officially select "The Warmth of Other Suns" and "Lonely is the Night" for the Winter 2023 issue of Camas. We were awed by your piece and are honored to offer it a place to land.
Thank you again for your submission - we can't wait to share your work with our readers! Warmly,
Priya Subberwal and Meghan Daly
Senior Editors, Camas Magazine
WILLOWS WEPT REVIEW
Editors have chosen my collage "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" for the Cover of this print literary journal!
|Shine On You Crazy Diamond by GJ Gillespie|
This is my 12 magazine cover.
November 24, 2023
Thanks so much for sharing your work with us. I’d love to include “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” as the cover art for our upcoming winter issue. Our plan is to release this issue on or around December 16, so I’ll be in touch with digital proofs for you to review in the first days of December.
Willows Wept Review
LOUD COFFEE PRESS
To publish my artwork "Lone Survivor" in upcoming issue.
|Lone Survivor by GJ Gillespie.|
November 22, 2023
First, thank you for considering Loud Coffee Press with your submission!
We would be thrilled to publish Lone Survivor (made with coffee). in our upcoming winter issue due January 31st, 2024.
Thanks for being a part of the Loud Coffee Press family! Let us know if you have any questions!
-Fred Charles and Annie James Thomas, editors
Loud Coffee Press
WELTER LITERARY MAGAZINE
To publish my collage "Temptation of Saint Anthony #2".
|Temptation of Saint Anthony #2 by GJ Gillespie.|
This is the second time I've appeared in Welter. In March my art was chosen for the cover of the annual print edition.
The Welter Team has reviewed your piece "The Temptation of Saint Anthony #2" and it’s with great delight that we extend our acceptance of your work to be housed on our Welter Magazine website. Please let us know as soon as possible if the art is still available to publish.
Thank you for submitting your piece, and congratulations once again!
The Welter Team
|Green Goddess by GJ Gillespie.|
|Opening the Fifth Seal by GJ Gillespie.|
TALON REVIEW JOURNAL
|Siren's Whistle by GJ Gillespie.|
October, 22, 2023
Dear GJ Gillespie,
DREAM NOIR MAGAZINE
Animals I've Trappedby GJ Gillespie.
"Animals I've Trapped" by GJ Gillespie accepted for publication by Dream Noir Magazine.
ARBOREAL LITERARY MAGAZINE
To publish my collage "And I Think to Myself"-- recently made during San Juan Island residency.
Oct 12, 2023
|And I think to Myself by GJ Gillespie.|
To publish "Lion Hearted Man #2"/
October 3, 2023
Dear GJ Gillespie,
|Lion Hearted Man #2 by GJ Gillespie.|
Congratulations! This message confirms the acceptance of your submission to Quibble.Lit's Issue 12, outlook/lookout
The names of the pieces we would like to publish: "Lion Hearted Man 2"
and "Taco Supreme #5".
The planned launch for outlook/lookout. is October 20th.
Please provide any social media links, websites, or anything else we can plug for you.
This issue is going to be spectacular, and all the better for your contribution!
Please consider following us on social media. Congratulations again, and make sure to promote your win!
I will be in touch with updates, and anything else that may come up. Thanks again.
VARIANT LITERATURETo publish "Going to the Sun" in upcoming issue.
Oct. 1, 2023
Congratulations! This message confirms the acceptance of your submission to Variant Literature. We are excited to feature your work!
Thank you for providing Variant Literature with the opportunity to consider some of your work. This email shall serve as official notice that Variant Literature Inc is acquiring first-time electronic publication rights for the following work:
“Going to the Sun”.
Your work will be placed in Variant Literature Issue 15. This volume will be made available electronically in October, 2023. All rights revert to the author upon publication.
We'll be paying $10 per piece.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
|Raft of Medusa by GJ Gillespie|
MEAT FOR TEA: THE VALLEY REVIEW
Will publish my collage "Time of Your Life" in the September issue.
September, 3 2023
Dear GJ Gillespie,
Thank you for sending us "Time of Your Life" and "Taco Supreme #2" We love these and want to publish them in the "Casserole" issue of Meat for Tea: The Valley Review, due for release September 9th.
Elizabeth and Mark
CLOSED EYE OPEN LITERARY JOURNAL
August 6th 2023
|Lay Lady Lay #1 by GJ Gillespie.|
To publish two GJ Gillespie Collages.
August 1, 2023
|Personages #10 by GJ Gillespie.|
Dear GJ Gillespie,
|Close Connection to My Heart #2"|
|Lion Hearted Man #3 by GJ Gillespie.|
To publish two collages.
|When the Stars Begin to Fall #2 by GJ Gillespie.|
July 10, 2023
On behalf of Dark Onus Lit, we would like to offer acceptance to "When the Stars Begin to Fall" and "Ghosts" for Issue 4 acceptance, if they are still available. Congratulations!
I don't have an ETA on Issue 4 yet, but likely early fall.
RED NOISE COLLECTIVE
To publish three GJ Gillespie collages.
This is the second time my art was picked by this art journal. Last time (see below) a piece was used as cover art.
|Threshold #12 by GJ Gillespie.|
July 7, 2023
We would like to invite you to participate in Red Noise Collective’s Online Gallery Exhibition entitled, “NOISE.” With your permission, we would like to include the following pieces that you submitted in the exhibition: "Personage #25," "Crazy About You," and "Threshold #12."
“Noise” will run from 7/31/23-11/30/23.
We look forward to hearing from you! Please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.
To publish three collages.
|Stop In the Name of Love by GJ Gillespie. |
20 x 20 x 1.75. 2019.
Mixed media collage on canvas.
"A Song for You."
"I Dreamed a Dream."
We love them and would like to publish them in the Summer 2023 issue of Barzakh Magazine.
Quartet #3 will appear on the cover of the next print edition of this literary and art magazine!
Editors will also publish my collage "Ode to Billy Joe" online on march 15.
March 12, 2023
We're thrilled that you submitted more work to Red Noise Collective and would love to publish "Ode to Billy Joe" on Wednesday, March 15th. Please let us know if you would like to be featured in the promotional post again.
After some discussion, we would also like to consider using "Quartet #3" as the cover art for our upcoming print journal.
Your style is so aligned with the core mission of Red Noise that we feel it would be a great fit. We would also like to offer a $100 honorarium for the use of the image and credit on the title page of the journal.
Thanks again for sharing your work with us, and please feel free to reach out with questions or concerns.
Red Noise Collective
See cover art
|California Dreaming by GJ Gillespie.|
deLuge Literary and Arts Journal
|Peggy Sue by GJ Gillespie.|
In Parentheses, an online and print literary magazine, chose my collage "Peggy Sue" for the cover of Volume 7, Issue 2, Fall 2021.
MORE PUBLICATIONS HERE
About GJ Gillespie
"The artists that I admire tap feelings of awe that permit the viewer to experience new perspectives of being."
-- GJ Gillespie
|Sketching at the Getty Malibu in Los Angeles|
|CAROUSEL OF TIME (portrait of Joni Mitchell) by GJ Gillespie|
Framing and shipping is available.
Leda sketchbook with every purchase upon request.
MY SKETCHBOOK COMPANY:
AWARDING WINNING ART
My submission to ZO Magazine's "Touch of Blue Expo" contest won first place in the Cubism division. The prize includes a $120 honorarium.
This is my 20th art award.
|Horse Of Course|
by GJ Gillespie.
January 20, 2023
Thank you so much for submitting to ZO Magazine's Touch of Blue Expo! Your entry "Horse of Course" is our 1st Place Winner for the Blue Expo Cubism category. All entries can be seen at the Blue Expo link below. We are giving an honorarium for this category win of $120.
Again, Congratulations and thanks for inspiring us and our viewers!
Bonita for the ZO Team
Bonita Zeier | River Alexander | Concept Director
ZO Magazine Touch of Blue Expo
Watch my interview with Zo magazine.
MORE about the art
________________________ SPECIAL RECOGNITION AWARD For "Windmills of Your Mind." GJ Gillespie wins an award for his entry in the Summer 2022 Exhibition of the online Light Space and Time Gallery. See winning art video here.
______________________________________ HONORABLE MENTION ART AWARD
|Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying by GJ Gillespie|
Collage on canvas. 15 x 30 inches. 2018
Northwest Collage Society Show.
Rosehill Community Center in Mukilteo
April 5 to June 30, 2018
"Invisible Men" wins SPECIAL RECOGNITION AWARD in the Light, Space and Time online gallery summer 2021 exhibition.
April 5 to June 30, 2018 MORE
MIdnight Confessions by GJ Gillespie.Collage. 21 x 11.5. 2019. SOLD
"Forever Young" was also invited for the Fiber Fusion Show September - April, 2016.
Horse with No Name by GJ Gillespie.
Smoke on the Water by GJ Gillespie. SOLD
The day before the end of the 2017 Northwest Collage Society Winter Show one of two Gillespie pieces sold.
The other work entitled "Horse Latitudes" received one of five awards in the show of 55 works by local collage artists.
MORE about the Cascadia Art Museum show.
"Kingdom Within" Honorable Mention in Mind Magazine's Imagination art contest.
Mid American Review Art Contest
The artist must have something to say, for mastery over form is not his goal but rather the adapting of form to its inner meaning.”-- Wassily Kandinsky
SIX SHOWS IN AUGUST 2017 In August 2017 Gillespie's art appeared in six shows in four cities, including Kirkland, Seattle, Bellevue and Roslyn. MORE
Vitat Regina (Queen Elizabeth) by GJ Gillespie.
Collage on canvas. 12 x 12 x .75. 2020. SOLD.
Thought Notebook choses Kingdom Within for Cover of June issue.
Two pieces featured in June, 2016 issue Journal Thought Notebook. MORE
|She's Not There by GJ Gillespie. SOLD|
ESSAY: FOREST BATHING WITH LEDA
Get Lost Sketching in the Woods by GJ Gillespie
WHOEVER SAID "stop and smell the roses" would appreciate the health craze called Forest Bathing.
|Old Timer by GJ Gillespie|
Mockingbird (Portrait of Eminem) by GJ Gillespie.Mixed media collage. 14 x 11. 2020.
|Man Disguised as Spirit by GJ Gillespie|
Shown at the Bellevue Arts Museum
Order canvas print here.
-- Giorgio de Chirico
Framing and shipping is available.
Leda sketchbook with every purchase.
Order HD Prints
- Kirkland, WA. Camouflage: a Show of 6 Abstract Figures by GJ GillespieAugust 1 to October 15, 2023. Hurst Gallery, Northwest University. 5520 108th Ave NE, Kirkland, WA 98033. MORE.
- Woodinville, WA. MOLBAK'S SIP AND STROLL ART SHOW. Three GJ Gillespie collages at Woodinville Arts Association juried event.
- La Conner, WA. ART UP FOR AUCTION "Oak Leaf Pioneer #3" shown as partof the Museum of Northwest Art's annual fundraiser in La Conner, WA.
- Langley, Canada, Civic Center April 12 to May 23, 2023. More.
- Kirkland, WA. Fallen Stars Show, Hurst Gallery, 21 portraits. January 16 to April 14, 2023. MORE
- Application to stay at University of Washington's Whiteley Center on San Juan Island approved for five days in August, 2022.
- Phoenix, AZ.
April to July 23, 2022. Found:RE Gallery, Phoenix Hotel, 1100 North Central Ave. Phoenix. "Acrobats" and "Motorcycle Haiku."
Motorcycle Haiku by GJ Gillespie.
- Phoenix, AZ. "I Want to Know What Love Is" in “FOCAL POINTS: Minimal VS Maximal".From December 3 to March 29, 2022. Phoenix Hotel, 1100 North Central Ave. Phoenix. MORE
- Oak Harbor, WA. SHELTER FROM THE STORM SHOW. 12 GJ Gillespie collages.
I Will Survive by GJ GillespieOak Harbor Public Library. September 3 to 28, 2021. MORE.
- Starkville, Mississippi. "Time On Our Hands" Exhibit, Partnership Art Center. July 7 to Sept. 13, 2021. "I Will Survive."
- Bellevue, WA. Pacific Regent Show. Three collages in this condo art show. November 2020 to February 2021. MORE
- HONORABLE MENTION ART AWARDMy self portrait "Will You Still Need Me" the Grey Cube Gallery March 2020 contest.
- "Never Comes the Day" in The Tempered Ruin Press quarterly Bluing the Blade --Volume 1, Number 1 -- December 2020.
- AWARDS for Blue Girl Gallery ShowsFirst Place for Kaw Kaw
Honorable Mention for Life Cycle MORE
- Bellevue, Pacific Regent Show
Bellevue WA Two pieces in this condo art show.
No reception because of Covid. Starts June 15.
ART AWARD, Honorable Mention in the Art Room Gallery online show for my collage "Forever Young".MORE about the art
- Kirkland, Art Class with Miha Sirani Mixed Media Creation at Kirkland Art Center.
- Thought Art Magazine
3 GJ Gillespie pieces selected for current issue.
- Kirkland, Quantum Paint: a solo show by artist Crystal Edwards and curated by GJ Gillespie.
- Kirkland, 21 Century Women Show. Kirkland Art Center, June 20 -- Oct. 16, 2019. "The Way You Look Tonight" at the KAC.
- Kirkland, Desperado Show, 5 abstract collages by GJ Gillespie at Hurst Gallery in Kirkland. August 20 -- October 10, 2019. More.
- Kirkland, Surface Design In Full Swing Show, Hurst Gallery in Kirkland. May 30 to August 17, 2019.
- Kirkland, BEST OF KIRKLAND ART CENTER SHOW, May 11 -- June 16. "Shelter from the Storm." More.
- April Envision Arts Magazine, "Something in the Way" a mixed media collage on canvas by GJ Gillespie is featured as a pairing with a poem in the literary and art online magazine. See the poem and collage here.
- Seattle, Northwest Collage Society Winter Exhibit at Washington State Convention Center. January 12 to March 30, 2019. MORE
- Kirkland, Earth Angel Show, Hurst Gallery, December 8 to March 23, 2019 MORE
- Kirkland, Nature in Fiber Show. January 4 -- March 1, 2019, VALA Art Center. MORE
- Kirkland, Howl Show, Hurst Gallery. August 30 -- December 7, 2018. More
- Bellevue, Healing Arts Show, Overlake Hospital, August 21 -- November 17, 2018Five works in Bellevue, WA
- Kirkland, Creative Contemplation Show ,Oct.1 -- Nov. 3, 2018, Areté Kirkland Condo · Kirkland, WA.
- Mercer Island, Gillespie Wins Award at Paper Talks: Collage Chatter, Northwest Collage Society Fall Exhibition, Mercer Island Community Events Center, Mercer Island, WA.
September 9 -- October 27, 2018. MORE
- Kirkland, Life Cycle Show June 14 -- Sept. 7, 2018. Five works at Hurst Gallery in Kirkland
- Kirkland, Forager of Dreams Show. Five works at Hurst Gallery Kirkland
Earth Angel by GJ Gillespie.
Collage. 22 x 17. 2018.
1.4 k impressions on Pinterest.
- Twisp, three pieces in The Hidden show, April -- June, 2018. MORE
- Kirkland, Mad World Show Hurts Gallery in Kirkland. January 8 -- March 30, 2018.
- Mukilteo, Gillespie wins award at Northwest Collage Society Show, April 4 - June 30, 2018.
- Seattle, SOLO show at Seattle Oasis clinic on the shores of Lake Union. July -- December, 2017. MORE
- Kirkland, Wonderful World Show, Hurst Gallery, Kirkland, WA. August 12 -- Dec 4, 2017. MORE
- Bellevue, "The Healing Arts” program at Overlake Hospital Cardiology Unit in Bellevue. Sponsored by the Evergreen Fine Arts Association. Until November 10. MORE
- Bellevue, "Series of Dreams" and "A World of Our Own" at Pacific Regent Invitational Show. MORE
- Redmond, “Design Revelations,” At North Gallery in Redmond September 30 -- October 30, 2017. MORE
- Roslyn, Roslyn Art Festival Two horse images graced the walls of Basecamp Book and Bites August 4 to 29. A fan purchased one of the paintings. MORE
- Seattle, the Northwest Collage Society accepted two Gillespie collages for the organization's 2017 Summer Exhibition at the Seattle City Hall --"The Way You Look Tonight" and "Luck Be a Lady". More.
- Kirkland, Pure Imagination Show, Hurst Gallery Kirkland, March 11 - May 4, 2017
- Everett, Fiber Fusion Schack Art Center. Three Gillespie collages in statewide show at Schack Art Center Feb - April 2017. MORE
- Edmonds, Northwest Collage Society 2017 Winter Show.
- Kirkland, Figures of Faith. Five Gillespie mystical artworks at Hurst Gallery, January 5 - March 4, 2017.
- Tacoma, Gillespie wins "Best in Show" at Inspired by Fort Nisqually Art Exhibit.
Fiber Fusion Show
- Kirkland, Goodnight Irene Show Five Gillespie artworks at Hurst Gallery in Kirkland.
- Redmond, Surface Speculations Show, North Gallery. More
- Kirkland. 425 Collective Show. More
- Seattle. Seattle Convention Center January -- March, 2016 for the Northwest Collage Society's Winter Show. MORE
- Kirkland. Sweet Dreams Show. Hurst Gallery. More
- Issaquah. Narcissus in University Place Issaquah Show. MORE
- Vancouver, BC. Moat Gallery Vancouver, BC Smuggling charge holds up art at border! The Moat Art Gallery in downtown Vancouver displayed the award winning collage Kingdom Within as part of the Piece of Mind exposition from May 1 to 15 at the Vancouver Public Library. MORE
|Sketching in Stanley Park, Vancouver, BC |
- Kirkland. Tangled Up in Blue: Solo Works of GJ Gillespie, Hurst Library, Northwest University, Kirkland, WA. Enjoy ten collages by the professor and artist from April 23 to July 14, 2015. See works here. Directions.
- Bellevue. Bellevue Arts Museum The jury for the Northwest Collage Society 2015 Spring Exhibit accepted a piece by GJ Gillespie. About
- Shelton. Shelton Arts Commission Accepts "Horse Latitudes" for spring show.
- Kirkland. Horse with No Name, Collages of GJ Gillespie. See artwork here
- Edmonds. Gallery North, Edmonds accepted five paintings by GJ Gillespie for the
annual Small Works juried show. The art was on display from March 1 to April 6,
I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better When You're Gone
by GJ Gillespie. Collage. 22 x 17. 2018.
- Seattle.GJ Gillespie takes the 30 Day Art Challenge TK Gallery in Pioneer Square, December 4, 5 and 6, 2014. See Entries Here
- Kirkland. Riddle: Collages of GJ Gillespie. 8 Works by GJ Gillespie at the Northwest University Hurst Library, Kirkland, WA September 14 to December 10, 2014.
- Kirkland. Parklane Gallery Show. Four works by GJ Gillespie were shown at the Parklane Gallery in Kirkland From September to November 2, 2014. Parklane Gallery 130 Park Ln, Kirkland, WA 98033
- Kirkland. Two works sold at Event to Benefit Syrian Refugees on Nov. 21. Students at Northwest University raised funds for victims of religious persecution in Syria which featured some works by GJ Gillespie. One of the pieces sold, Threshold #3, was recently shown at the Parklane Gallery Show (below). The other work sold was a 10 x 8 inch orange and blue abstract entitled Legacy.
- Shelton. Shelton Art Show. Two GJ Gillespie collages were shown at the
Shelter From the Storm by GJ Gillespie
appeared in 4 shows and 2 publications.
Shelton (WA) Civic Center for the months of October to December, 2014. "Things We Do for Love" was previously hanging at the Mukilteo Community Center.
- Kirkland. Unmarked Cross Walks: Works of Matthew Whitney and GJ Gillespie. October 6 to November 8, 2014. Northwest University, Health and Science. Free. MORE Unmarked Cross Walks Chat with GJ Gillespie Page
- Tacoma. Space Works Tacoma Show. 17 works of GJ Gillespie shown at the Old Post Office in Tacoma, August 21, 2014.
- Mukilteo. Northwest Collage Society Summer Exhibition, Mukilteo Community Center, July, August, 2014. GJ Gillespie Wins Northwest Collage Society Innovation Award
- Gillespie CENSORED!
- Kirkland. Works of GJ Gillespie.
11 paintings by GJ Gillespie on display at Hurst Gallery in Kirkland, WA 2014.
Inspired by an Ancient Love Story
Gillespie's Sketchbook Company
|Premium Sketchbook designed by GJ Gillespie.|
In 2016 Gary Gillespie founded his own art supply company selling premium sketchbooks on Amazon.
Now 100,000 books later, the premium art journal company ranks among the top 2 percent of Amazon.com retailers with 5000 five star reviews.
- A Glass Darkly
- Summer and Fall
- Fall and Winter
- Summer 2017
- KIRKLAND ART CENTER THRESHOLD SHOW
- New Works
- Letter to the World
- Man Disguised as Spirit
- Summer in the City
- Waxing and Waning
- Through a Glass Darkly
- Indigenous Inspired
- 30 Day Challenge
- Kent show submission
- Art Books and Sculpture
- Gone Fishing
|Come Now Fair and Tender Ladies by GJ Gillespie. |
Mixed media Collage. 20 x 15. 2015.